Saturday, February 9, 2013

Curiouser And Curiouser!

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then. ”  - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
........

Hey friends!

I wanted to show you my latest project!  I made my Spring Formal dress last year from an old vintage bridesmaid gown that my mom wore in a wedding back in the 80's. Man was that thing a hot mess... 

Here it is BEFORE I remade it. Look at those wonderful poofy sleeves... 



and here it is after I finished!





After Spring Formal a friend of ours saw what I did with the dress, and gave me a bunch of her old bridesmaids dresses to have fun with. I instantly fell in love with a super dainty, blue and lacy vintage Jessica McClintock. But it was rather awful. It hit in the middle of my calves, super long and unflattering drop waist, and when I say lacy, I mean being SWALLOWED ALIVE by lace. The problem was, it was gorgeous vintage lace. You can't just hack away at a dress like that. I pinned, repinned, took off lace, put lace back on, let the poor dress sit on a half dress form for months. All because I was too scared to do anything to it. 

I guess I get nervous when I sew. My sewing machine can go on the fritz sometimes and the threads get all knotted and tangled. There was NO way I was going to subject that gorgeous dainty fabric to my inexperienced, self taught sewing skills.  

Then something finally clicked. I decided I was just going to go for it. (I'm so sorry I don't have an original photo of the dress, I can sketch up the original design if you'd like!)
........


“Do you think I've gone round the bend?" "I'm afraid so. You're mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”  - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
........






I took the lace on the top of the dress and sewed it so it laid better on the top, then the lace instead of being in a boxy shape if had fun ruffle texture. It was super hard getting the lace to be draped evenly on both sides. 
........


“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” - Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland
........



I shortened the length of the skirt by about 5 inches then instead of it being drop waist, I detached the skirt from the torso and reattached it about 6 higher. This took me a few tries to get it sewn on evenly because I did it over break while my sister was home visiting. It was a bit difficult because I'd stop sewing to talk to her or my mom, and when I started again I would be a little bit crooked. I finally got it right though!
........


All in all the dress turned out super cute. In fact, I'm thinking about having some of my senior pictures taken in it. 
“If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does.”  - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland


........

This is just one I had fun with editing :)


Sweet Breanna put up with me asking for a photo shoot while she visited a few weekends ago, that's where all these lovely photos came from! Thanks friend!

For my senior pictures I thought it would be fun to be holding a tea cup and be standing in a garden. Or maybe pretending to "paint" the roses red. I fell in love with the original Alice in Wonderland. It's so quirky, and it has such fun quotes.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Hope you are having a wonderful February so far! Mine is cold! *shivers*

xoxo,

Maddie

2 comments:

  1. oooooo! i love both of them, however the first one i am very impressed with! the fact that you recreated a dress that your mom wore in the 80s to a modernized adorable dress is just,,, "neat!" ;) very inspiring if only i could sew :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are perhaps the cutest little blogger I have run across- and creative to boot! You are a genius with the sewing machine- I cannot wait to see what other kinds of goodies you will be coming up with in the future...

    (Stopping by from Whimsy Love)

    ReplyDelete

Yippee! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We (literally) squeal with joy when we get one, call each other and sit on the phone for hours discussing said comment.