Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Four Generations Of Crafty Ladies




I love looking through my basement. There are so many memories buried down there. Now, mind you, ours isn't a fixed-up basement that you can live in or have Superbowl parties in. It's a never-let-the-guests-down-there-or-they'll-never-come-back kind of basement, which makes it all the more intriguing I think. It's where we put all of our old furniture along with the boxes of Christmas decorations, baby toys, books, and videos, not to mention the boxes still unopened from when we moved here five years ago. (Merging households with my grandpa and late grandma is hard enough without having to get rid of the double appliances and an extra house-worth of stuff!) We had to gut the basement after a flood that kindly left our house unharmed except for a few thousand dollars in ruined homeschooling books and rotted panelling and carpet. (No sarcasm there. There were people that actually died in this flood- one of them being my uncle.)
    The other day I was nosing around in some boxes of my grandma's when I found a box full of buttons. (Maddie, I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I wanted to keep them to myself. This could be a real test to our friendship. ;-) Now, I'm sure you've noticed that I'm a bit cheap and I like to use things that I found on sale or that I have on hand for my crafting projects. Well, my grandma was the queen of crafting. When she was seventeen she knit a dress for herself. Yeah. That's right, a dress. She taught me how to knit when I was nine, so I learned from the best. (Sidenote: Eight years later, I still have yet to knit a dress.) She came by it honestly because her mom was also a crafty lady. I like to think that I came from four generations of crafters. And even though my mom isn't always actively crafting, she doesn't give herself enough credit. She's pretty handy with the glue gun. Unfortunately, my grandma and great-grandma also passed on the gift of hoarding, and my mom and I have been trying to minimize that gift ever since we moved in. That is why there are still the boxes upon boxes of yarn and buttons and the Lord only knows what else collecting dust down in "the cave".
    This box of buttons was kind of like a pot of gold at the end of a huge rainstorm for me. It hasn't always been easy to live here in a small town with my grandpa. It reminded me that even after five years, blessings are still popping up out of the blue and really, they're just starting. So I'm just going to keep trusting the One who put me here because I know that He knows the plans He has for me. I hope that's encouraging to you, too!

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11

By the way, I do have pictures from New York that I will be posting shortly. I already pinned a few on Pinterest. Also, if you want to hear more than the few and far and getting fewer and farther between posts you can follow myself and Maddie [on Twitter. I did update daily on the trip to  New York I took with my school's marching band.

=)

Breanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yippee! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We (literally) squeal with joy when we get one, call each other and sit on the phone for hours discussing said comment.