Saturday, January 21, 2012

Hey Girl Scouts, Your Secrect Is Out! *Thin Mints Tutorial*

If you're like me you eagerly await spring for many reasons. One of those reason being Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies. Sadly before summer even hits I've already polished off any trace of the cookies then  I'm waiting impatiently for Spring to roll around again to repeat this process. It wasn't until the cookie making bug bit me this past Christmas season that I discovered what is my equivalent of Columbus discovering America... Homemade Thin Mints. A life changer.

Quite possibly the easiest recipe ever, you only need 3-4 ingredients.


- Ritz Crackers

-  1 lb of Milk Chocolate Coating Chocolate (don't mistake this with melting chocolate, coating chocolate works much better)


- 20-25 drops of Oil of Peppermint (don't mistake this with peppermint extract) I got mine at a baking supply store.

- (Optional) Sprinkles



Melt the coating chocolate in a double boiler, making sure the water doesn't start to boil. We don't want any water to accidentally get into the chocolate!
Once your chocolate looks like this:
add 20-25 drops of Oil of Peppermint. I usually add 25 because I like it being minty.
Stir in the Oil and then toss in a Ritz cracker.

Using a fork dunk the cracker in the chocolate until it's fully coated. Be careful not to break the cracker because you're so eager to eat your thin mints, crumbs in the chocolate aren't fun.
Start lightly shaking the cracker to remove excess chocolate.
Even the chocolate drizzles are pretty!

After the extra chocolate is off slide the cracker/cookie onto a cookie sheet with wax paper on it.
(Optional Step) Decorate to your hearts content. For this batch I shook some pink sprinkles onto the cookies before the chocolate set. I made a different batch that I drizzled white chocolate on top and it looked gorgeous.

Once the chocolate has set you can munch on them. So de-lish. I put mine in some cello-food bags and added a homemade tag so I could give them as small gifts.


Enjoy your wonderful homemade Thin Mints! They are so so so yummy!

<3

Madeline


3 comments:

  1. Oh my heck, you are a GENIUS. Chocolate covered ritz? Why have I not tried that yet. I'm so making these this week sometime. I love how you decorated yours with pink sprinkles. So fun and festive for Valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I have GOT to try this! This is going to be good for the Ritz Cracker industry... bad for my hips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can find myself just sitting and munching on these while doing homework. Let's just say more chocolate gets on the paper than actual work. Haha! <3 Madeline

      Delete

Yippee! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We (literally) squeal with joy when we get one, call each other and sit on the phone for hours discussing said comment.