Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 - In Review

Hey Friends!

Hands down I have been blessed with the most wonderful year of my life! Why? You ask.

The beginning of the year Breanna and I had this crazy idea to start a blog! Look at us now! 83 posts later we're still going strong (and soon to be celebrating out 1 year Blog-iversary!) Ever since last January we've been keeping in touch (as was the main goal of our blog) more and more and even decided that *good Lord willing and the creek don't rise* we're going to spend a school year in England going to a Bible school together after high school! Europe here we come!

In February, Breanna and I had the adventure of a lifetime (in the US... European adventure yet to come) going on a super fun road trip to Orlando FL. My mom did a CAbi party for her aunt, then the rest of the time we were down there we chilled by the pool, ate pickles, pretended we were food critics, went to Downtown Disney, shopped etc.

March - I think it was a pretty chillax month, both recovering from out crazy adventures in FL.

April - I went to visit my sister in Austin, TX! Austin is one of my favorite cities and finally being able to wear a dress for Easter without having a down winter jacket over it was nice. 90 degrees was the average while we were there!

May - I had my birthday and SURPRISE! Breanna and her mom showed up on my doorstep as my birthday present! We had a fabulous weekend together choreographing dances (and discussing tan legs) I had a fabulous Memorial Day Weekend that I spent playing doubles tennis with friends, having a fun sleepover, then enjoying a great parade honoring our troops.

June - I the opportunity to put together a talent show in 6 days to raise money for a mission relief trip my church was sending down to Georgia. I never just leave it at one thing, so I added a bake sale to it which was a smashing success. The freewill offering and bake sale proceeds ended up raising over $600 for the mission trip. It was most defiantly a high stress job though, considering that two days after the talent show I left for Kamp Kanakuk! It was my first time flying alone and I was not very happy when I found out I had to get up at 4:00 am. (I'm not a morning person) and I was a bit nervous when I realized I had a 3-4 hour layover in ATL. But even the layover was a blessing. While I was waiting at my gate I noticed a girl dressed all in exercise clothing so I took a wild guess and I asked her if she was heading to Kanakuk. It turns out she was, and it was her first year at Kamp for a whole month! Not only that, but as we were chatting I found out she is from MN and attends the same church that my sister attends! What a small world huh? I was qualified to run for Tribe Princess at Kamp and when you are, one of the requirements is mentoring a younger gal at Kamp so I was able to mentor her!

July - Kamp continued halfway into the month of July so I will continue with my kamp adventures. There were 13 girls who ran for Kiowa princess originally then after voting they announced the final 5. I was blessed enough to make it into the final 5 nominees! It was a huge surprise and I wasn't expecting it! There was another voting process and the winners would be announced parents night. I was so nervous! My wonderful friend Haley won Kiowa Princess for next summer but I was honored to receive 1st runner up! I know that she'll do a fantastic job as princess and I won't need to step in at all. I'm so excited for her and extremely humbled to think that so many girls would want me to be their tribe leader next year that they'd even vote for me! The rest of July was uneventful, I caught a horrible case of bronchitis a few days before I left kamp so I layed low for the rest of the month.

August! - August was such a fun month! I went to Six Flags Great America for the first time. I was very nervous on my first roller coaster, infact I almost fainted... But once I went on the first ride the rest were a blast! The week after I had a pool party for my youth group at my house which was tons of fun and the last week of August I got a group of kids to go to a local art festival. Afterwards my friend Cristian came over and hung out until his parents picked him up, but before they did he asked me if I'd like to go to homecoming with him!

September - My parents said YES! September was filled with dress and shoe shopping with Breanna! While I was with her I purchased a gorgeous cream dress with a jeweled neckline. I thought it was going to be the dress, but then I realized that the lining was paper thin and was rather see through. That simply would not do! So while I was attending the Desiring God conference in MN my mom and I went looking for dresses and I found a beautiful cream and maroon striped dress that was one shoulder. I went with that and it was perfect!

October - I attended homecoming at Cristian's high school. It included a football game the night before which sadly they lost but the dance the next night was fun! The weekend afterwards my youth group went to a camp up in northern Wisconsin to close up the summer events for the winter retreats. On my project team were Cristian and my great friend Maggie! We demolished an old hatchet throwing range, took down the riflery and archery range, set up a cross country skiing post that we designed to look like the Survivor Tribal Ring :)  (Tiki torches and all) I got to tear apart a rotting picnic table with a hammer! It was a ton of fun!

November - I sold my crafts at either my 6th or 7th Craft Boutique in MN. I sold out of everything except my Sock Monkeys! Then right away the weekend afterwards we were back in MN to have Thanksgiving with my family. It was great to see my sister who flew up from TX with her boyfriend who is from Australia! It was a bittersweet holiday though, she broke the news to us that after Christmas she was planning on moving to Australia! We were sad but very excited. It means that we should be able to visit her sometime this year!

December was probably one of the best months this year :) Remember that handsome guy I went to homecoming with? Well, Cristian surprised me, he talked to my parents and asked for their permission and blessing to date me. My parents agreed and later in December he asked me if I would be his girlfriend. I said yes! Also some news I failed to share with the blog. I took my drivers test finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only did I take it, I passed with just 3 points off! I am officially licensed to drive! I was able to plan my youth group's Christmas party this year. It was fun! I even had a hot chocolate bar! My sister returned home from TX, and I was able to spend 10 days with her before she left for Australia after Christmas. After a wonderful Christmas at home we drove her to the airport in Chicago then continued onto MN once again to visit my cousin who was in town with his two sons. It was great to see them and I heard lots of "AUNT MADDIE!!!" for two days. My family got home in time for New Years Eve and we went to a Gamblers hockey game with some long time family friends of our and Cristian joined us. The Gamblers won 10-1! Afterwards we went home to lay low until midnight and Cristian taught me how to play chess, something I've wanted to learn for the past few years. He's such a patient teacher and even let me win! Checkmate!

I hope you had a great 2011! I know I did! Happy New Year! Welcome 2012!

<3

Madeline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yippee! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We (literally) squeal with joy when we get one, call each other and sit on the phone for hours discussing said comment.