Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Baby It's Cold Outside! Wreath Tutorial!

My oh my! It's getting soooo cold outside! The other day the thermometer read 16 degrees. Cold weather is not my thing, I think I'm alergic to it ;) I've been in the crafty mood thanks for pinterest (I'm becoming a pinaholic!) And it's inspired me to go a bit homemade for Christmas. So I decided to make a wreath! My dad thought I had gone crazy when I tossed a foam ring into the cart while at Fleet Farm but oh well! Here's what you'll need!

1 Foam Ring
1 Skein Plain Yarn (In color of your choice)
1 Skein Textured Yarn (In color of your choice)
3 Different Sized Craft Pearls/Bead
1 Sheet of White Felt
Hot Glue & Hot Glue Gun
Ribbon
Sewing Needle
Thread Matching Yarn
1 Skein Bulky Yarn (In color of your choice)
Knitting Needles (I used size 8)

First I wrapped plain white yarn around the whole ring, securing it with hot glue at the end.

I wanted to add some texture to the wreath so I wrapped it in a second layer of a textured yarn. It's just a cheap cotton/acrylic yarn from Walmart! Secure ends with hot glue again!
Then time to start knitting! It's a simple technique for knitting flowers. Cast on 10 stitches, knit one row, then knit one stitch but instead of removing the stitch bring the yarn in front and pearl a stitch then remove the stitch. (If you'd like a better tutorial on the flowers leave a comment!) After doing that to every stitch in that row, knit the next row normally. The row after do the k/p stitch mix for all stitches (you should have 20 by now) knit next row normally, k/p mix for next row, knit stitches (40 by now) normally, k/p mix next row, then cast off for the last row (you should be casting off 80 stitches) The flower should kinda curl up and you can sew it together so it creates a rosette. I made one larger flower with 80 stitches at the end and two smaller with only 40 stitches at the end.
Cut two leaf shapes from the felt to what ever your desired size is. Then hot glue the craft pearls all over the leaf.
Arrange your flowers and leaves how you'd like them displayed on your wreath and you can put a small x down to mark it. Then sew your flowers onto the wreath. This shouldn't be hard since you have the two layers of yarn to work with!
Hot glue the pearl leaves where you want them, and then to secure the flowers you can hot glue the outside "petals" to the wreath.
Tie a ribbon to the top of your wreath and hang it! (Do you like my wreath hanger? I got it for $2.50 at Target! It's sparkly!)
Tada! You're finished and also the proud new owner of a super cute wreath!

I'm off to make myself a hot chocolate since I'm so freezing! Stay warm!

<3

Madeline

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love this wreath! Simple and beautiful! I love the textures of the yarn!
    I would definitely like to see the tutorial on the rosette as well! I am just learning to knit better, I am much better at crocheting, so all the new little things I learn to knit are a big bonus for me!

    ReplyDelete

Yippee! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We (literally) squeal with joy when we get one, call each other and sit on the phone for hours discussing said comment.