Friday, November 11, 2011

Advent-ure Time!

    I never meant to allude to the weirdest children's show ever to grace cable TV, but it just worked out so well!
    So, Conservativchic (aka Maddie) reminded me that I am overdue for a new blog post. Story of my life. Since quite a bit has actually happened since the last time I blogged, I will tell you about some of it.
    Halloween. Was. So. Fun. I invited my friend, Rachel, to hand out candy again with me this year. This has become a tradition as of last year. We get together and set a theme (this year it was Alice in Wonderland) and then we dress up like characters from that theme. Rachel was Alice, I was the Cheshire cat, and third friend, Corrie, was going to be the Mad Hatter, but she had a paper to write for school (yet another reason why homeschooling is awesome), so she wasn't able to make it. Another thing we do is have a door prize drawing for the kids. This year, in light of our theme, we had them pick from a deck of cards. In order to win a prize, they had to pick either the queen of hearts or queen of diamonds. It was a blast! (And the kids had a good time to! ;-)
    If you ever read my tweets on the right side of this page, you may have seen a picture of my newest creations, Marius and Cosette. There was an auction to raise money for the school band and choir that I am in and I knit two phone socks for it. They were inspired by the watching the musical Les Miserables the night before the auction, and I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. =)
Marius and Cosette. Yes, that is a mini beret that he is wearing ;-)
    Shifting into a minor key: Today, I had this deep feeling of discontentment with my life. I think it might have been for a jumble of reasons, but one of them was that I haven't been reading my Bible as diligently lately. This depression was a horrible, evil feeling and I knew that if I was ever going to get back on the right track, I had to go away for a while to talk to my Father. As I was searching for verses on contentment and confusion, I came upon two verses that spoke straight to my soul and I'd like to share them with you. They were 1 Corinthians 14:33 and James 3:16.
For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
1 Corinthians 14:33
For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work
.James 3:16
    Now, on to the real reason I've called you here. My mom and I are making an advent basket for a lady who goes to our church. (Hence the awful title and picture of an advent calendar.) For those who don't know, an advent basket is a basket of gifts, each with a number on them that tell you which day of December to open that gift. The numbers go up to 24, Christmas Eve day. If you receive one, you probably won't know who it came from until you open the last present, when they reveal their identity on a card. Pretty neat idea, eh? Sort of like Hanukkah for Gentiles. Anyway, the gifts don't have to be big or expensive, just cute little ornaments or practical things or bath items. In the spirit of this blog I should have at least woven the basket or something crafty like that, but this time my mom is the one who was crafty- she is going to knit a washcloth and a towel to give. Fist pump for crafty mom!
    Have a beautiful 11-11-11 guys! But that occasion could never be allowed to overshadow the original reason this day is so special. Thank you to all of the brave men and women who have fought and are still fighting for the United States! Freedom is such a precious gift, and we have you to thank for it.

=)

Breanna


My friend, Rachel, and me all decked out for Halloween.
 I would like to point out that the water bottle in Rachel's left hand has a tag that says "Drink Me" on it in scrawly writing. In her other hand she has a pocket watch. I love her! She is so amazingly detailed!

Self explanatory. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yippee! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We (literally) squeal with joy when we get one, call each other and sit on the phone for hours discussing said comment.