Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Touch of WhiMSy!

Hello Blog Friends!
I am back from the best summer experience of my life! Kamp was wonderful, maybe I'll do a post on it soon!

A LOOOOONG time ago I came up with the idea of interviewing my sweet friend Nikki Mans of www.whimsy-girl.blogspot.com. I started reading her blog about 2 years ago and have been hooked ever since! She's an amazing Mommy of two adorable girls, blogger, writer, and has the unofficial title of "Queen of Crafting" I emailed her a while before Kamp and asked if she'd do an interview and she agreed. Sadly the email kinda got lost in the inbox shuffle and even though I received the email before I left for Kamp back in June I didn't have time to post it. But here's the interview! I hope you enjoy! Please check out her blog! I bet you'll like it as much as I do!

1) What was the first thing you remember crafting?
One of the first things I remember crafting was a pillowcase that was decorated with crayon drawings when I was about 6 & in Brownies. It's one of those things where you draw on white paper & then the image gets ironed onto the pillowcase. I had my name written on it, so of course it came out backwards when ironed on. It had stick people on it. And a house & a rainbow & clouds & those birds shaped like an "m". In fact, my girls (ages 6 & 8) made some pillowcases this week as Day #19 in our Summer Diary series. (We're doing something fun every day this summer & posting it on our blog!)

2) Have you specifically kept a craft you meant to add to your etsy shop because you fell in love with it?
My stash of vintage button rings is always growing because I make one & just can't give it up. Or else, I'll list it in the shop & if it doesn't sell after a week or two, it's mine!


(Nikki has generously offered to giveaway one of her super cute vintage button rings to one of our readers, so if you leave a comment telling us your favorite summer memory Breanna and I will pick a winner! Contest will end August 2nd)
3) What prompted you to start a blog?

In February of 2007, I was bouncing around the www, in search of something---some place somewhere to sell the things I made. I didn't really know what I was looking for. I stumbled onto a blog. I didn't even know what a blog was. Jessica of scrumdillydilly at http://scrumdillydilly.blogspot.com/ inspired me. She continues to be such a crafty blogger pal. Full of happy & full of creative! Her Etsy shop "jek in the box" was my first peek into Etsy. I was hooked. (She now resides at scrumdillydilly.etsy.com)
4) What inspired the name "WhiMSy Love"?
This is not a very exciting story. My mom & I had a little booth in one of those antique/crafty malls where we sold vintage as well as handmade things. We chose the name "WhiMSy". When I discovered Etsy, I set up my shop with the name "WhiMSy", but apparently that name was already taken or had recently been used. So, I quickly had to think of something else. So, I added the "love".

5) What are your favorite and least favorite thing about having a blog/blogging?
My favorite thing about blogging is that it has become a journal of my crafty musings & times spent with my girls. I like to look back & remember. My least favorite thing about blogging is getting so few comments. I can't help it. I need affirmation. :0) (Side note by Maddie: SOOO true! Every blogger loves comments! Please leave one, or two, or as many as you want! We want to know what you think!)

6) Has there ever been a specific craft that "frightens" you? (For me, it's sewing a zippered pouch)Oh, yes, zippered pouches are a fright to me! I did decide to sit down one day & learn to make one though. It turned out OK actually! My number one crafty fear is....KNITTING! It has always intimidated me. I've been afraid to learn because it looks so hard. BUT, last December my friend taught me how to knit! Slowly, I'm tackling this crafty fear & it's not so intimidating anymore! It feels so good to be a crafty conquerer!
7) How do you get in the crafty mood?
I usually crank up pandora (a bit of Jack Johnson, Nora Jones, Billie Holiday...) or I put on a movie or TV on Netflix. I like to have some sort of noise in the background. I can't craft in silence. And I usually have a yummy drink beside me like tea. I love tea.

8) You moved a long way from where you once considered home last year, what was the hardest thing and the best thing about the move?



The hardest thing about moving was having to leave my extended family: My grandmother, mom, dad, sister, brother, nephew & nieces, & my best friend. But, it was also the best thing to leave them too. It forced me to get out of my comfort zone & make my own adventures.

9) What's your favorite item in your etsy shop right now?



I think my favorite items are my Vintage Button Rings. I love them so! I wear one almost every day. They are a fun little accessory & I love all the different color combos. I especially love creating custom rings for clients---or sending surprise rings every month as part of my Vintage Button Ring Club. (Check out Nikki's AHHHMAZING etsy shop HERE!)

10) For someone who is on the fence about opening an etsy shop, what piece of advice would you give them?

I would say to make sure you really love making stuff just for the sake of making it & nothing else. Don't expect to make lots of money or get super duper famous. I love creating & it makes me happy to be a part of handmade & I want to make others happy by making them things too.

11) Where do you find inspiration for your crafts?



My girls have always been a big ole giant wad of inspiration to me. They are full of funnies & sillies & wonder & awe. I always joke about, when my girls are older & moved out of the house, I'll have to borrow someone else's kids.

Most of the time inspiration hits me at random times. I've learned to carry around a notebook & pen at all times. I even sleep with these under my pillow because sometimes I'll wake up in the night with an idea--or even some thoughts for a future story or blog post. (I also write weekly for a newspaper.)
12) Did you watch the Royal Wedding?
I waited to watch the Royal Wedding until it was on the internet the next day. And then, I just fast forwarded to the kiss.


*******

A HUGE thank you to Nikki Mans for agreeing to do this interview! Please check out her blog at www.whimsy-girl.blogspot.com!
Want to visit her super awesome Etsy shop? Click HERE!

Well, it's time for me to sign off, thanks for reading! Hopefully I'll post again soon! Breanna left a message on my phone yesterday saying she LOVED Wicked the Musical! Yay! Maybe we'll have to do a collab post about Wicked!

<3
Madeline (The Kamper of the Year :)

P.s. The pictures have nothing to do with Nikki's blog I just thought they were "Whimsical"





10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the interview!
    I'm SO jealous Breanna got to see "Wicked"!!
    Craft on, my friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of many... My sister, Aunt and I were at Peninsula State Park when we decided to take a quick walk to the observation tower, in our flip-flops. We ended up walked a total of 3 (or 4) miles! Our feet were sore for a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun interview! The best days of Summer are the ones where you stay up, sitting outside after dark, spending time with friends and before you know it it's way later than you thought it was! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! Fast forward to the kiss?? Shocking!!

    My favorite memory is a new one. My kids and me, along with daddy, chasing each other around the yard with water balloons!! Such laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember playing ghost in the graveyard till the wee hours of the night. And then begging my Mom for "10 more minutes" when she called my name to go in. We also had lots of four square games......do they even play that anymore? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww I love Nikki! She is so much fun!

    My fave summer memory is every summer I spent with my Grandparents. When I was 6 (old enough to fly unattended)I started flying up to New York to spend my entire summer break with my Grandparents. They were the most magical days of my childhood. There are far too many moments to list and some are just the memory of the smell of freshly cut grass or fireworks.
    We didn't even need adventures for me to be happy, although they filled the weeks with adventure and joy. Oh to relive those wondrous days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids are my inspiration too. They always say "can we do this?" and it makes me try new things a lot. Love the interview and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very thoughtful interview ladies, and Nikki, the amount of energy you must have in all you do in mind-boggling- in a very good way :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Nikki and Whimsy Love~ Best summer memory I have is when my girlfriends and I were around 8 or 9 years old. We used to play restaurant in one of my friend's campers that her parents parked in their driveway. We used to bring in fresh vegetables from her garden and I cannot begin to tell you how much fried zucchini I ate that summer. We called ourselves "the camper girls." Now, we are all friends on Facebook, living in all different states.

    ReplyDelete
  10. adria smith from paperscissorscake@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Yippee! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We (literally) squeal with joy when we get one, call each other and sit on the phone for hours discussing said comment.