Saturday, June 25, 2011

Flog the Counterculturalist!

    My name is Breanna A and I haven't logged onto Facebook in over ten months.

    I'm sure you're all well acquainted with the popular social network, Facebook. It is a tool we usually use to procrastinate and end up wasting hours and hours looking at "friends'" status updates and all of the other junk in our feeds. "Do you think Suzy Smith is cute? Click here to unlock Horace's answer." NOBODY CARES! "Fran 'Popular Snob' McKay wants to be friends with you." Why? We never even make eye contact in school and I'm still not over you calling me Puke-Face in third grade. And I hate how you can click on "See Friendship" and see the history of comments and photos of you and your friend together as if that's what your whole relationship consists of. It's so superficial!
    Okay, so part of the reason I'm so bitter is this: I thought I had deleted my account last year, but today I found out that they only deactivated it. I only wanted to discreetly make an account under an alias so I could like a page I needed to for this musical I'm in this summer. But when I tried to create an account using the same e-mail I used with my old account, it told me that there was still one associated with it. Then I signed in using my old e-mail address and password and sure enough: "Welcome back! Thank you for reactivating your account!" No, thank you for not listening to me when I said I wanted to DELETE MY ACCOUNT! 
    One thing I don't agree with is that instead of putting the necessary information about costumes and practice dates on the community theater website so everyone can see it, they put it on their Facebook page. What about those of us who don't have Facebook? And how about those who's parents won't allow them to have one? You're going to make them go against their parent's wishes? It just isn't right.
    So this is my futile attempt at protesting the "norm". A lone voice crying out in the wilderness. I'm not saying that Facebook is the tool of the devil or anything, I'm just saying that it shouldn't be abnormal to not have one. I have a dream that one day, people without Facebook accounts will walk proudly and unscathed among those with Facebook accounts.

=)

Breanna


1 comment:

Yippee! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We (literally) squeal with joy when we get one, call each other and sit on the phone for hours discussing said comment.