Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Costumes, Cupcakes, and Chaos- Oh My!




...So to continue on the subjects of costumes and cupcakes I want to tell you about this weekend, which is not as much about costumes as it is about cupcakes and tornadoes. As you may know, both Maddie and I had dance recitals this weekend only at different studios. She can tell you more about her experiences later if she so chooses, but right now I'm going to tell you about mine.
    It all started with the cupcakes. My mom and I planned to have this nice picnic right before my recital and the dessert of choice was cupcakes. So Saturday morning, the day of my four (FOUR!) recitals I whipped up two dozen Funfetti cupcakes and some of Maddie's delicious frosting. Then I had this stellar idea to make them look like little ballerinas, and in order to do that, we'll need marzipan (duh). Never made it before. Let's see, first ingredient: almond paste. Well, how do you make that? Okay, the recipe is on page 780. Now, one pound of almonds. Good thing we have that almond tree in our backyard! Wait, we live in Minnesota and almond trees can't survive in our climate? Great, now let's hop on over to the store. Good, now we have all we need to make this bad boy... oh my gosh! It's time to leave!
    Well, we got as far as the almond paste. So we quickly frosted the cupcakes which were the tutus and molded the almond paste into a head and arms. This was the product:



Yeah. I'm no Cake Boss, but they work.
    At the recital, I'm waiting for my mom and the clan to get there so we can have lunch. Five minutes go by, then ten, then fifteen, and when a half an hour goes by I'm really starting to get ticked off. Don't they know I'm starving? I've been dancing all day! They CANNOT have a good reason for this. But eventually my mom does arrive, and just when I get ready to make a snark comment: "I'm sorry we're so late! There was a tornado and we had to stay in the basement for 45 minutes." Huh-wha?
    Never mind.
    Moral of the story: When life throws you a tornado, eat a cupcake.

; )

Breanna

    Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.  ~Philippians 4: 6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yippee! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We (literally) squeal with joy when we get one, call each other and sit on the phone for hours discussing said comment.