Thursday, February 24, 2011

Beastly Words on Lettered Backs

"Good morning, Pooh Bear, if it is a good morning, which I doubt." ~Eeyore
    Just in case you remember this, I said in my interview (See? I figured it out all my myself!) that I would be writing a book review. Well, this is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and write a book review!
    At the risk of sounding like a dork (or shall we say that ship has sailed?) I am going to tell you that I read all the time. It's terrible. For Christmas I received two (TWO!) Barnes and Noble gift cards and promptly spent it a week later. Lemme tell ya, when I walked through those pearly gates with my plastic gold in hand, I fell into a deep coma and woke only when I had searched the whole store through.
    Well, anyway, since I've had the privilege of reading so many wonderful books, and assuming that you like to read also, since you chose to read this blog, I would like to tell you of a few I've read recently.
    The Dreamhouse Kings is a young adult series written by Robert Liparulo about a family who moves to a small town in California. In the first book House of Dark Shadows they buy a run down Victorian house in the middle of the woods regardless of the protests of 15 year-old Xander. The first time he sees the house he knows there's something not quite right with it. First of all, it looks creepy and he just can't shake the feeling that someone is watching them. Once inside the house, he notices that it also plays tricks with sounds, making noises seem to come from places other than where they really came from. After living there only two days, Xander and his younger brother David discover a secret door to a third floor hallway filled with doors to antechambers. Inside each of these antechambers is a single door that leads to different times and places. The five other books in the series deal with the family's fight for survival in this odd house where an assassin and his giant accomplice want them gone or dead.
    I really liked this series because the characters are so realistic. They actually get tired after almost being killed multiple times per day. Though this book is not openly "religious" they often mention a faith in the Lord and Xander asks some good questions about if God is really there. In the last book, Frenzy, it really is Jesus who helps them conquer their enemies. I did have a problem with that part, though. It just seemed kind of random and I hate to say it- cheesy. Other than a few times when trusting in God is mentioned, they never really ask God for help personally. That is all I will give away so I don't have to issue a SPOILER ALERT. I will still recommend this book to you. However, the characters are constantly being wounded, so if you are squeamish be warned. Robert Liparulo is such a good writer that he makes you feel as if you are being wounded along with them.
    Along the lines of books about creepy houses, I will also recommend the book House (creative, eh?) by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. Now this is a blatantly Christian supernatural thriller that keeps you on your toes the entire time. A husband and wife on their way to marriage counseling get stuck in a mansion out in the boondocks with another couple and can't get in contact with anyone things get seriously freaky. They find out that a serial killer is on the loose and they're the next victims of his sick demonic game. It's great, check it out!
When I am dead I hope it is said: "His sins were scarlet, but his books were read."
Breanna =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yippee! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We (literally) squeal with joy when we get one, call each other and sit on the phone for hours discussing said comment.