Saturday, February 19, 2011

Banana and the Beast



    My mom and I just finished reading an article in a homeschool newsletter that my family receives. It was about the benefits of filling your home with laughter and keeping your eyes open to the humor in situations. Not sarcastic humor, not mocking humor, but simple humor you can find within everyday life. Oftentimes we become so focused on pushing ourselves to be the best, and so concerned what other's think about us that life becomes almost a chore. We become "angsty" and ornery when things don't go exactly the way we want them to. Speaking from experience, public schools tends to pressure students so much that peers start to resemble angry baboons. We make fun of each other and replace respectful humor with sarcasm.


    By the way, God has such a good sense of humor. I mean, look at that face!
    Anyway, back on my high horse. We spend so much time at school where the atmosphere is tense that when we come home, we drag some of it with us. Take time to be with your family and laugh together! Don't make fun of each other, search out the funny moments in life. Don't worry, I know! I've been in public school! I do love homeschooling for the fact that you spend a lot of time with your family rather than at school with all of the peer pressure. The art of laughing at ourselves is something we need to develop. It shows humility and people will be attracted to that. Benjamin Franklin once said, "A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small bundle."



    Did you know that studies show that people who laugh regularly heal faster and are generally more healthy? Laughing also burns calories. Hmmm...maybe that's America's problem. People don't know what gentle humor is anymore. I admit, I have a problem with this, too. Sometimes I say things, trying to be funny and distract from the fact that I don't have it all together most of the time and nobody gets the joke. On the other extremity, I do have a temper that needs to be controlled. I get all "wrapped up in my little bundle" that is myself that I forget to take joy in life.


    So that was my second attempt at understanding the ways of the world this month. Now that that's out of the way, I should tell you about the strange title of this post. Madeline and I were talking on the phone last week and the subject of ugly prom dresses came up. We ended up creating a nightmarish puffy, bright yellow, brown-spotted garment and decided that it would look just like an over-ripe banana; thus the Banana and the Beast.
    I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day!
    
A merry heart does good like medicine. ~Proverbs 17:22

Breanna =)
This was my family's Christmas picture this year.
From left to right: me, my grandpa, & my mom 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yippee! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment! We (literally) squeal with joy when we get one, call each other and sit on the phone for hours discussing said comment.